Jun 21, 2010

Mounting options for a professional External Camera Monitor

If you're like me and using an external monitor for your handheld or studio video camera then you've probably dealt with the same frustration of trying to hold the monitor while screwing it onto to a Noga or Magic Arm. And, there are times when the camera is moved that the monitor get loosened by any quick camera moves. I've solved both these problems with a simple and effective solution: use a quick-release plate system!

Since I already have a plethora of Arca-Swiss QR plates and clamps, I mounted a typical lens plate to the bottom of the monitor and a QR clamp to the top of the Noga Arm which is on my Zacuto rails. Voila! Easy on, easy off.

I've also mounted the same QR clamp to one end of a Bogen Magic Arm which is normally used when the camera is on a jib.

The spin-off benefit is that I now can easily place the monitor off-camera anywhere I want using my Arca ball head on another tripod making the monitor height and angle completely independent of the camera itself or the camera tripod. More versatility!

This setup will work with just about any QR system; Bogen, Kirk, Really Right Stuff, Arca-Swiss etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment